Portobello Mushroom Burger
When bbq season hits it can be daunting to find healthy alternatives to the traditional burger. Here is one of my all time favourite burgers that I will eat bbq season or not while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
2 cups of water
4 portobello mushrooms
4 sesame burger buns
1 tomato on the vine
1 dill pickle
2 tbsp vegetable oil (sub water if oil free)
1/2 onion sliced
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1/4 tsp Better Than Bouillon
1/2 cup Vegan Mayo
1 tsp Sriracha
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl add water and Better Than Bouillon. Mix well. Soak Portobellos in mixture for 2 hours.
2. In a skillet, heat oil on low and add onions. Cook onions slowly for about 10 minutes or until they caramelize.
3. Remove onions from pan and turn heat to medium. Add Mushrooms. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until they have fully cooked. Mushroom should sweat and look closer to a burger consistency.
4. In a separate bowl combine mayo, sriracha, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
5. Build your burger with bbq sauce, caramelized onions and all toppings you enjoy. Spread Mayo mixture on top bun.
6. Serve with a side salad, fries or potato salad. Enjoy!!